From Archicad version 9 you can attach GIS data to a project with API functions.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are a set of computer programs that can organize, display, and analyze spatially distributed data.
You can find detailed explanation of GIS visiting the following websites:
- GIS.com, a portal to GIS information on the Web created by ESRI, a GIS software developer
- GIS Portal of Spectrum Mapping, LLC
- Open GIS Consortium (OGC)
- European Petroleum Survey Group (EPSG)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Geographic Information Systems by Mike Creech and Carol Fedora
- Introduction to GIS and Map Coordinate Systems by Andy Anderson at Amherst College
The following UML figure demonstrates the relations between the different parts of the GIS data structure as implemented in the API.